19 Mar
2013

This past week you all have probably heard about the normal size models Åhléns department store put up. First, it is in Åhléns Malmö and not in H&M like many news channels are saying. Second, everyone in the world has made it a huge deal except Sweden. And third, this is real and not a hoax.

Glad we got that out of the way!

From reader, Sabina, who captured the photos below, said “I liked that the store itself didn’t make a big deal about it. These models were just like every other model.”

The lingerie “normal” sized mannequins were mixed in with the regular, skinny ones. If you were walking by, you might not have noticed at first glance. But obviously people did.

I think it is an awesome idea to have more realistic looking models that the skinny things that are usually on display. Seriously, how many of us have a little extra flub and are desperate to get rid of it? Why are we, women, so afraid of being proud of our curves?

Really, we are scared shitless of ourselves in underwear. But at least these models are not. And I think it’s because in a country like Sweden, where the Swedish women are proud, smart, and equal to man can their mannequins not give a shit about being skinny.

And what about the standard skinny models Åhléns has on display? Not that skinny when you compare it to a Victoria’s Secret window display, below.

photo via dailymail.co.uk.

Maybe we should follow the Swedish way by valuing women for being beautiful with and without their curves.

The only real complaint about the mannequins? The hair. Can they not look so grey and flat?

What do you all think? Progressive or weird to have “normal sized” mannequins?

11 Responses to Swedish Department Store Opens Pandora’s Box with “Normal Sized” Mannequins – We Think It’s Awesome

Angelica

March 20th, 2013 at 00:52

I’m often proud of being Swedish for things exactly like this.

Debbie

March 20th, 2013 at 09:42

Good on them! I hope they will add these mannequins in all of the shops.

Daniela

March 21st, 2013 at 20:24

i think those mannequins are just fine and they could be cold anything but fat. it really is normal size

Riccardo

March 22nd, 2013 at 18:36

I would’nt survive in Sweden. Absolutely beautiful girls . Normal model size for the eighties. I’m old..

Sarah (Shh...Fit Happens)

March 29th, 2013 at 20:57

helI think the normal models look way better!!

Lauren

March 31st, 2013 at 18:14

I love it! And you know what? Those mannequins look like actual people! Imagine that.

I will say that I think the Victoria’s Secret mannequins look rather grotesque. The “skinny” Swedish mannequins at least look a little healthier than that. I do not think the VS models are attractive. Not, you know, that I’m into that sort of thing. But you know what I mean.

Tammy

April 1st, 2013 at 07:53

Call me crazy but it makes me feel so much more comfortable to look at the normal sized mannequin. I don’t have the overwhelming desire to feed her a sandwich.

Karl

April 5th, 2013 at 23:40

the new mannequins will stay for quite awhile, because they are an expensive capital investment. The garment business is not a Womyn’s Studies Department, it is a business.. And the women owning these businesses (it’s very largely women in the RTW trade) are the most ruthless about that.

Whether ==more== will get purchased will depend upon whether they help sales volume or not. Period. The garment business is a business, not a Womyn’s Studies Department.

It’s odd that agenda-ist femists make comments about sizing of garment product lines, even in the absence of ANY knowledge about pattern-making, cutting, etc. It’s like when the Church decided that the Earth was the Center of the Universe…. because it fit their ideological agenda.

The RTW industry and the Fashion biz use skinny models because that paradigm passes the ultimate test….. it makes money fly out of women’s wallets and into the cash registers.

Karl

April 6th, 2013 at 00:16

>> Seriously, how many of us have a little extra flub and are desperate to get rid of it? Why are we, women, so afraid of being proud of our curves?

Why are you so afraid of letting your teeth just naturally all rot away? Because “natural” isn’t what we humans want to be. “Natural” women were pregnant at 13 and dead at 33.

KT

April 22nd, 2013 at 18:23

I think is is so awesome too! I’m from the Philippines and I want to share that article to all local stores here. I bet they will like this idea because it’s reality. We are not in wonderland where most women are like Victoria Secret models. Real women needs real life body of a mannequin. Thanks for sharing :)

Tara

April 23rd, 2013 at 01:06

This makes me so happy I could swear! It looks fantstic and sexy and like real women! As far as sales are concerned you can actaully get an idea of what something would like on your body. Typically they are so small with gigantic boobs and it’s just all wrong! (not to say if you are tiny with gigantic boobs you are all wrong :))