Top 5 Swedish Names – Women

1 Mar
2012

After having writer’s block, I thought I would do a fun top 5 list of women’s names in Sweden.

These are the overall standings, not just the most popular names from the past year.

1. Maria

2011 Rank: 100
Number of women in Sweden with the name: 444599
Number of men in Sweden with the name: 619
Name day: 28 February
Maria Montazami, the girl from all the annoying casino Ving ads (I confused her with Victoria Silvstedt) and is the ‘hemmafru i Hollywood’

2. Anna

2011 Rank: 84
Number of women in Sweden with the name: 302591
Number of men in Sweden with the name: 11
Name day : 9 December
Anna Bergendahl of Melodiefestivaln

3. Margareta

2011 Rank: Not in top 100
Number of women in Sweden with the name: 248121
Number of men in Sweden with the name: 0
Namne day : 20 July
Margareta Valdermarsdotter, queen of Denmark and Norway, 1387-1412, and over Sweden, 1389-1412.

4. Elisabeth

2011 Rank: Not in top 100
Number of women in Sweden with the name: 202428
Number of men in Sweden with the name: 8
Name day: 15 November
Elisabeth Söderström, opera singer for the Royal Opera House

5. Eva

2011 Rank: Not in top 100
Number of women in Sweden with the name: 191582
Number of men in Sweden with the name 3
Name day: 24 December
Eva Röse, actress

You can see how Christianized Sweden is today. There are few popular Nordic names which is a disappointment because they are beautiful and fun to say!

Statistics are from http://svenskanamn.alltforforaldrar.se/

7 Responses to Top 5 Swedish Names – Women

March 1st, 2012 at 16:28

I have a funny feeling the following girl’s names will become popular in Sweden over the next year: Estelle, Silvia Ewa, and Mary.

March 1st, 2012 at 17:21

Hmmm… I have a funny feeling about that too…

Riccardo

March 2nd, 2012 at 09:36

I thought Annika was more popular rather than Anna in Sweden.These popular names such as Silvia/Maria/Anna are clearly italian. Even Margareta should be a nordic fixing of the italian Margherita (Daisy) What’s your opinion about this swedish choice ?Sound ? Exotic ?Else ? Here in Italy, usually very lower class people give foreign names to the children with ugly consequences when they look for a job. The name on a curriculum is the first impact for an employer. Sad to say but you can be still discriminated by your name. Does it happen even in Sweden ? Thank you for you nice blog

March 2nd, 2012 at 10:43

Hey Riccardo. If you think about it, these names aren’t just from Italy, they’re Biblical. All the names come from Hebrew, Greek, or Latin and all the names are mentioned in the Bible, the Old Testament, or the New Testament.

Remember Sweden was Christianized less than 1000 years ago. People who did not throw out the old gods and pray to a new god had their homes ransacked, farms destroyed, or were hung. As a result, the old names disappeared quickly in exchange for Biblical ones.

Today, these are by no means ‘foreign’ names unless you consider names from the Bible as foreign.

liv

March 2nd, 2012 at 11:26

Exactly, those names are considered as Swedish as they can be, a name cannot be more Swedish than Anna and Maria, at least not to a swede!

Silvia is not considered Swedish, but since it’s the queens namne it’s still well known.

But some older names are still fairly common, like Ulf (wolf), Sten (rock) and Torbjörn (from Thor and bear).

Riccardo

March 2nd, 2012 at 12:05

I agree with you for the jews origin of these names. I did not considered maybe in Sweden they kept the same spelling as italian and were not modified such as Mary/Marie Silvya/Silvie or Ann or Anne as they did in french or English.

Erika

March 3rd, 2012 at 00:02

Oh yuck, you managed to pick five names which I don’t particularly like. But smaken är som baken, right? :) (actually, I’m related to two Maria, two Eva (incl my mother…), one Margareta and three Anna!) My own names happen to be of old norse origin but I think that’s just a coincidence actually… Perhaps I’m biased (lol!), but I agree that it’s a sad thing we don’t use the old names more. Personally I love Sigrid and Alvar :) (when I have kids, eh..)