when i miss my mom

3 Sep
2011

i miss my mom when I have a headache and there’s no one to tell me to take rest and get a head massage
i miss my mom when I leave work to go on a long weekend or vacation and send her a text message “VACATION!”
i miss my mom when I want to get a pair of new crochet gloves made
i miss my mom when I cannot remember whether to use 1/2cup milk or water to make jam cookies
i miss my mom when I want to eat to paneer parathas
i miss my mom speaking Gujarati
i miss my mom giving me a foot rub and watching Pride and Prejudice (the Colin Firth version, thank you very much!)
i miss my mom having Bunny run after her
i miss my mom when dad would cry “tea, tea, tea for me please” and tea would magically appear
i miss my mom’s tea
i miss my mom’s annoying but loving way of prodding, “for whom should I make these baby booties?”
i miss my mom screaming at me even though she sometimes made me cry
i miss my mom’s love for my friends
i miss my mom speaking English, Hindi, Marathi, and Gujarati and not confuse the languages
i miss my mom hanging out with friends, drinking coffee and crocheting
i miss my mom when dad would tease her
i miss my mom’s khao suey dish, even though no one else liked it
i miss my mom when I would fall and hit my head into the wall and she would yell and smack at the wall for being mean
i miss my mom when she would paint

i hope she finds peace now

10 Responses to when i miss my mom

Naveed

September 3rd, 2011 at 14:20

i really miss khao suey

janerowena

September 3rd, 2011 at 15:52

My mother is very ill, and your post makes me very tearful. There is already a lot she can’t do, so I am sort of mourning her in advance. I will miss her phonecalls. I will miss the way she keeps us all together.

lola

September 4th, 2011 at 12:15

She has found peace now. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Ravi

September 4th, 2011 at 21:44

Hey Babe:
i miss her too, but I don’t know how to express my feelings.
i miss her favorite saying “Let me tell you the truth”
i miss her special lemon grass ginger tea
i miss her when i want to have a small chat
i miss her when i want to share my thoughts
i miss her when on the way out to work she would ask when are coming back and i love you
i miss her many many more way

Surekha Pendyal

September 6th, 2011 at 17:12

Dearests,

Hope the poem below helps you in finding peace and realizing that your loved one is still very much a part of things around you. In her gentle ways she will continue to be with you always. Please take care.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
Mary Elizabeth Frye – 1932

Joanne

September 23rd, 2011 at 17:03

I miss my mom too…for many of the same kinds of reasons you do. She was the glue that held our family together…
I miss my mom when I have happy news to share (and almost forget and start to call her)
I miss my mom when I need someone to talk to who will listen and not judge.
I miss my mom’s hugs…they were the best in the world.
I miss my mom when things get difficult and need someone who will say “it will be okay.”
I miss my mom’s strong and gentle hands.
I miss my mom’s voice, her touch, her smile, her presence.
I miss my mom for so many things and so many ways.
Thank you for letting me say so.

A 31st Anniversary Remembered

October 11th, 2011 at 16:51

[…] is the hardest day you will face in life; to not celebrate an anniversary with your true love. I miss Mom everyday, but she is always around with us. She and Bunny will celebrate in heaven with tiramisu […]

October 12th, 2011 at 11:58

@ Joanne – thank you for sharing. I hope you are remembering her in different ways everyday.

@ Surekha – Thank you for the poem, it is so beautiful. Mom will always be with me flying high.

@ Ravi – I miss her “let me tell you truth” too! She would be so funny.

Sunita Sangra

May 21st, 2012 at 12:13

Very sorry to hear of ur loss. I know how u feel. Mine passed away on her 58th b’day on 4th sept 2001. The thousand things she cud do still dazzle me, cooking, drawing, crocheting, knitting, crafting, teaching me and my sis languages she barely knew and keeping a warm happy home. Times I feel she is still guiding and is near. U will now b her image in all u do. She will always b by yr side in some diff way. The day mine passed away..my sis was coming to the hospital and just getting off a bus when she felt something like a hug and a wierd sensation of warmth and affection which slipped away suddenly after enveloping her. That was the exact moment she passed away. So trust me she still exists somewhere in another form

sks

May 29th, 2012 at 09:54

I miss my mom everyday
When she made my favourite ‘Vangibath’ and fed me at 22!
I miss my mom when I called from office just to say hello!
I miss my mom when I sang the songs playing on the radio and danced all over the house, and she just stood there and smiled!
I miss my mom when I have a fever!
I miss my mom when I get ready to work everyday
I miss my mom when I cook a new dish, i miss her saying ‘It tastes so good!”
I miss my mom telling me about getting enough exercise!
I miss my mom giving me an enviable haircut!
I miss my mom getting me all dressed up for a festival
I miss my mom singing to me
I miss my mom reading loads of books
I miss my mom all the time
I love you mummy, I wish, sooo wish you were here! I miss you too much!