Okay y’all, here’s my list of what I love and hate about Sweden. You will see some similarities with the Love Hate Relationship in Stockholm.
If you’re going to comment, don’t be douchebag and say nasty things. I won’t tolerate it. Otherwise, enjoy the lively debate.
Love about Sweden
- Five weeks minimum paid vacation, hell ya! By law too. Take that America with your two weeks paid vacay.
- Free healthcare = obscene amount of paperwork need not apply.
- Functioning tunnelbanan (metro system). Yes I know Swedes love to complain about t-bana being late. OMG, it’s 5 minutes late; the sky is falling! But hell, the SL metro is clean, not raining underground, and doesn’t smell like pee all the time (maybe puke on Friday nights though).
- Walking to work. Need I say more. That is the second biggest advantage of living in Sweden. The cities are so tiny and easy to walk!
- Beautiful summers. The best summers I had in the past 11 years have been in Sweden. Mark Twain was right, “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”
- The sun never sets in the summer.
- Is in Europe and it happens to be a fairly functioning country compared to the PIGS: Portugal, Italy/Ireland, Greece, and Spain.
- Can sign up online to make a doctor’s appointment.
- Taxes can be filed online, by text messaging, by phone, or snail mail (the scandal). Plus, Skatteverket pre-fills out your tax papers so you know how much you’re getting back or paying up.
Hate about Sweden
- Rude people in Stockholm. I have said enough about it, so there, stop being so rude so I can stop complaining! Just kidding. Maybe not.
- The sun sets in the middle of the day. Touché.
- Communists. Really people, that theory is great in our minds but you apply that shit to real, functioning economics and you end up with a fucked up nation.
- Crappy drivers in Stockholm. That’s Stockholm though, not Sweden.
- Lagom work ethics. You just work; no more, no less. Crisis at the office? It’s all good, leave at 5.30PM.
- Systembolaget. I have come to a peace with bolaget. I hate it, many Swedes love it and want the government to control them and their little purple beer bags, so be it.
- Everything is expensive. Seriously, how do Swedes afford to live in Sweden? Salaries are crap, everyone is stuck in the middle class and what’s up with the 1000:- shoes?
- People don’t hold doors open. I checked at my office, less than half the people hold the door for the next person. And my husband? He forgets too. D’oh! Leave my nose alone!
- Stekare guys. You guys are not cool. Oiled hair with attitude problems are not sexy assets for men.
- Takes three months or more to get an appointment with a specialist doctor and then weeks to get results from testing. Why, oh why?