I know I ruffled feathers with my 10 things I hate about Sweden. People thought I was/am a real a’hole. To prove them wrong, I made a list about why I love Sweden.
But let’s get real. The I love Sweden post received 15 comments. The I hate Sweden post received 255 comments. The people who told me to “get the F out of Sweden” were no where to be found when I made positive comments about their country. Do they love Sweden then if all they can do is hate me for pointing out the poorer aspects of the nation?
This compiled list is not just me. I asked several expats what they hate about Sweden and these are the top answers.
Let the games begins:
- Dark six months of the year
- snowy; goddamn you snow!
- Seriously f’ing cold
- full of feminists
- full of hot swedish men and swedish women (okay big plus)
I hate how…
- Tvattstuga bookings ranges from psycho 8AM-5PM and 5PM-midnight or from 7AM-9AM. And if you really want to start a fight in Sweden, steal someone’s clothes and hold it ransom.
- You have to pay 10kr for a bathroom that has sticky toilet paper on the floor. Ummm…I like non pissy bathrooms.
- People hit you in the head with bags on the metro and don’t apologize
- Some people block the entrance walking on/off the train.
- Without immigrants cleaning the streets, the city would be a dump.
- No one holds doors open.
- Those damn heaters in doorways of malls (think Gallerian) are completely uncool for the “enviromental capital of europe.”
- XL is more like M in clothing.
- People snus and throw the used packet on the streets; same with cigarette butt litter.
- With gym etiquette, no one has sweat towels!
- People wear flip flops or walk barefoot in the gym – I’d love to drop a 10kg dumbbell on an exposed toe
- Drivers think you’re a pylon when crossing the street.
- Bus drivers think they are in the indy or rally!
- The black market rental sucks.
- The housing market sucks.
- Buying gorgeous shoes in Stockholm is impossible
- Cyclists are training for the Tour de France in the summer, ergo you get run down like obstacle flags.
- Fitted bedsheets don’t exist.
- Bedsheets other than white don’t exist.
- Foreigners are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.
- Designer crap Swedish fashion falls apart after 3 months of use.
- Shopping is limited. I want soy candles and toe socks, where the hell can I find them!
- No one smiles.
- Banks close at 15hr on most days.
- People whine about the weather. I already know the weather sucks, thanks for pointing out the obvious.
- People don’t make small talk.
- Stores close at 18hr (19hr if you’re lucky).
- Swedish banks change rules as often as people screaming skål at the company julbord dinner party
- Swedish banks don’t let you see details of transactions…my last paycheck came from a company/person/object called “0”
- Housewives are condescended upon by Swedes.
- The queue system only works when there is a queue number. Otherwise people fail to understand forming a line.
- Queues during Christmastime fail miserably.
- If Disneyworld is the best place on earth, then System Bolaget must be the antichrist.
- Lagom everything is at work. Why can’t people work to do their best?
- Everything is so expensive.
- Customer service doesn’t exist.
- Wedding gift registries do not exist.
- Shopping online is still in the stone age.