Basic Swedish Phrases to Know

29 Jul
2010

A really quick list of Swedish phrases to know. Even though everyone our generation speaks English, it’s always nice to throw a few words in here and there in Swedish. Be sure to be clear on enunciating Swedish words.

ja – yes
nej – no

tack – please (used at the end of a sentence); thanks, thank you
tack så mycket – thank you very much
varsågod – you’re welcome

hej or hej hej – hi, hello
hejsan – hi (informal)

god dag – hello; goodbye (literally: good day; can be used any time from morning until around 5pm)
god morgon – good morning (used until around 11am)
god middag – good afternoon (used around noon)
god kväll – good evening (used from around 5pm)

välkommen! – welcome!
välkommen till … – welcome to …

hej or hej hej – bye
hejdå – goodbye
god natt – goodnight
vi ses! – see you! (informal)
vi ses snart! – see you soon!
vi ses senare! – see you later!
ha en bra dag! – have a good day!

ursäkta mig – excuse me (to get someone’s attention or to get past someone); sorry
förlåt – sorry
inga problem – no problem
det gör inget – don’t worry about it

pratar du engelska? – do you speak English?

jag pratar inte svenska – I don’t speak Swedish
jag pratar lite svenska – I speak a little Swedish
jag pratar väldigt lite svenska – I only speak very little Swedish

var snäll och prata långsammare – please speak more slowly
kan du säga det igen? – could you please repeat that?

jag förstår – I understand
jag förstår inte – I don’t understand

jag vet – I know
jag vet inte – I don’t know

var är toaletten? – where is the toilet, please?

How much is a ticket to _____? Vad kostar en biljett till _____?
One ticket to _____, please. En biljett till _____, tack.
Where does this train go? Vart går detta tåg ?
Where does this bus go? Vart går denna buss?
Where is the train/bus to _____? Var är tåget/bussen till _____?
Does this train/bus stop in _____? Stannar tåget/bussen i_____?
When does the train/bus for _____ leave? När åker tåget/bussen till_____?
When will this train/bus arrive in _____? När kommer tåget/bussen till_____?

18 Responses to Basic Swedish Phrases to Know

July 30th, 2010 at 14:37

Some other important ones!

“Är du gift?” – Are you married?
“Kommer du att köpa mig en öl?” – Will you buy me a beer?

Dano

July 30th, 2010 at 16:31

“Min bil är trasig, kom och hämta mig snälla.oj,oj,oj!”

Roman

August 1st, 2010 at 18:17

“Kommer du att köpa mig en öl?” – Will you buy me a beer?
Very important….to remember..:)))

Juni

August 2nd, 2010 at 02:27

very , very helpful thanks!

Juni

August 3rd, 2010 at 08:38

@ Andrew, who the heck would you say that to? I heard Swedish guys don’t buy drinks for women, and anyway, woman don’t ‘ask’ for a guy to buy them a drink, they just ‘hope’ :) hahah

August 4th, 2010 at 12:15

@Juni – I’d ask her to buy me a drink! Since Sweden is so big in ‘equal rights’, it’s only fair. Plus, it’s a great pickup line: *Waiting at the bar, see some chicky and want to flirt with her* “Hey, I’m drinking Staropramen. Wanna buy me one?” She’ll probably laugh (catches her off guard, and in English… Perhaps you’ll get hit, but it’s physical contact!!), but you got an opening!

Mattias

August 5th, 2010 at 01:57

I never use, nor do I ever hear anyone say, god middag or god kväll. I believe it’s old fashioned. It’s god morgon, or just morgon or “morrn”, and then it’s “ses”, hej and god natt. :)

August 5th, 2010 at 06:14

I never heard anyone say god middag or god kväll either, unless they were a 100 years old.

Btw, have you been hearing more people say “ni” instead of “du” recently? I’ve gotten a few “ni” when at the store; seems that some people are reverting back to formalities.

Princess

August 5th, 2010 at 11:22

Am I being dozy where’s the thread about learning Swedish gone with the hilarious simple Swedish vid??

Have a qu about how to pronounce ‘berg’ in Swedish. Have noticed on Wallander (big fan) that the character name Nyberg is said ‘Nybay’ do we Brits therefore say it wrong where we make it rhyme with purg as in purgatory (sorry couldn’t think of better example – it’s quite hard trying to write about sound).

Dano

August 5th, 2010 at 12:52

It’s pronounced “berry” or “bari”..sounds like that to me.They roll their “R”s way too much over here. Can you roll your R’s Princess lol ? :P

The lookout on the Titanic was Swedish.When he cried “Iceberry ICEBERRY!” They thought he was ordering a drink!

Princess

August 6th, 2010 at 17:18

@Dano – ah don’t fink Wallander rolls his r’s much. Is that bari as in Italian place – sounds like Barr-ee or Barry as in Barry Island or Barry Bethel (that’ll confuse them, hee hee). So should it be Ingrid/Ingmar Berryman?? God this is making English look simple!

Princess

August 6th, 2010 at 17:19

PS: can do partial rolling – is that any good? ;-0

Puntino

August 6th, 2010 at 21:56

Good job.. but the hardest part is how to pronounce them…

Ronke Kuken

September 8th, 2010 at 10:50

Kan du fleka upp dig sa jag far ta dig i roven? Lat mig dra ur den och spruta dig i pannan. That basically translates to: Darling, let me see your beautful face. You look lovely tonight, may I have the next dance.

Dano

September 11th, 2010 at 06:26

@Ronke – hmm, sounds like something an Arab or slimy Italian would say! The first bit anyway.Unless you’ve been staring at her arse and boobs all night (arse and bulge if a guy)then you’ve already seen her “beautiful face”! It also sounds really “corny”, and i’d expect her and her friends to fall about laughing!
The 2nd part might work though.

Oscar

September 13th, 2010 at 20:19

@Dano
You might wanna look up what “Runke Kuken” actually wrote before trying those lines out. ^^

Dano

September 14th, 2010 at 09:40

Hmm..ok so i haven’t started my Swedish schooling yet! Called the girlfriend over to translate..now she’s all horny and making eyes at me..Ronke you wanker!!!
Hopefully lots of slimy Arabs and Italians have already learnt it and are out being arrested as we speak!
Twat! :(

Thanks Oscar lol.

adrian

November 29th, 2011 at 17:04

Groggluder – Cocktailwhore (A girl who fools guys in to thinking their going to get laid, so that they will buy cocktails for her)

This word is a piece in the puzzle of solving the question why swedish men don’t buy drinks for women.