Swedish Chef’s Bork, Bork, Bork

14 Jul
2010

swedish chef

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Recently, I fell back in love with The Swedish Chef. He was never my most favorite when I watched the Muppets but always a good laugh.

It’s funny how the subconscious Swedish culture entered America through the Swedish Chef, ABBA, and Volvo “baby carriage” station wagons back in the 80s. Today we know more about Sweden because of IKEA, H&M and the bikini team, a great achievement for America.

Here’s a collection of videos, twitter, Facebook, all social media The Swedish Chef makes himself known on.

Swedish Chef on Facebook – here

Official Swedish Chef Channel on Youtube – here

(Un)official Swedish Chef Channel on Youtube – here

LOST Slapdown, Part 15 – Swedish Chef [HD] - here

My Top 10 Swedish Chef Videos

Cårven Der Pümpkîn

Swedish Chef Reciting Shakespeare (323)

Animal and Swedish Chef Sing Happy Birthday

Muppet Show – Swedish Chef – making donut

Swedish Chef – Meatballs

Muppet Show – Swedish Chef – making chocolate moose

Swedish Chef makes Turtle Soup

The Chef goes flying into the Muppet newsroom when he pops a bottle of champagne.

The Muppet Show. Swedish Chef tries to make soup

The Muppet Show. Swedish Chef – Spring Chicken (ep.512)

Why did the chickens cross the road?
Because an angry Swede was chasing them with a cleaver!

And for Swedes being called dull and boring, the Jim Henson ensured the Chef would be the polar opposite with his eccentricities of shooting donuts and bazooka’ing pumpkins into pumpkin pies. Why can’t real Swedes be like the Swedish Chef?!

Color, excitement, madness!!

9 Responses to Swedish Chef’s Bork, Bork, Bork

Abby

July 14th, 2010 at 17:05

Hey!

They just posted a NEW Swedish Chef video and he’s making popcörn shrimpee :) It’s fabulous and extremely funny!

Princess

July 14th, 2010 at 18:15

Ooh I love The Muppet Show, it’s right up there with Sesame Street (fav character Count Count, of course because he loves to count). Miss Piggy is feminine icon!

Is the chef actually saying anything vaguely Swedish? I heard a wicked rumour that he may be actually speaking Danish – is this true, shock horror?

July 14th, 2010 at 20:03

@Princess – Sounds like a mix of Danish and Swedish. Swede’s say it sounds Danish, Danes say it sounds Swedish. Potato, potAto… It’s till awesome!

July 14th, 2010 at 22:03

Abby! That’s the video I was looking for. Loved it.

@Princess – Some say it’s a Norwegian-Swedish mix. But you can always get Google in Swedish Chef language: http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=xx-bork

or read the Swedish Chef on Wikipedia in bork language: http://www.tiffman.com/bork.cgi?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Chef

July 14th, 2010 at 22:40

@Sapphire The translators make it look Dutch!

Tony

July 15th, 2010 at 05:59

stackars Chef – can’t even get the köttbollar right

Deepsoul

July 16th, 2010 at 20:31

@Sapphire…you just now found the Swedish Chef? LOL :) I have loved him since I was a child. If I could marry him, I would. Also, growing up, my family only drove Volvos and SAABs. We were definitely always influenced by Swedish product and culture. Gotta love Sweden. :) A shame that Volvo and SAAB has fallen into the hands of others. :(

Gabe

July 19th, 2010 at 19:34

The new popcorn shrimp video is classic!

I’m not sure if it is true but supposedly Jim Henson saw the real Swedish chef on TV in the United States. He was fumbling away at his words and spilling stuff all over the place because he was nervous to be on live TV. That’s how Henson got the idea. Anyone know if that’s true?

Mattias

July 21st, 2010 at 18:29

@Gabe: a few years back there was an old chef on swedish television on a show with a host named Oldsberg. The chef claimed he had been in the US a few years, and was supposed to do some cooking for a show, but got nervous and couldn’t find the words.

What he speaks is nowhere near any nordic language. It’s just english with some garbled gibberish thrown into the mix.