Online Swedish Tax Declarations 2010

It’s that time of year again when the flowers are blomming, birds are singing, and Skatteverket (the Swedish Tax Agency) is awaiting the tax returns of its citizens. And the real irony? Filing taxes is easy. Indeed!

In April, you should have received your Deklaration statement (on pastel yellow paper). It will tell you how much income, capital gains (from stocks/shares) you have that’s officially listed. From this information, Skatteverket tells you how much you owe to the government or if lucky, they owe you.

If you don’t own other shares, houses, or have deductibles then you can file your taxes online, by SMS, phone, or paper. Just this year alone 3,089,286 people filed their taxes online.

To file taxes online you either need e-legitimation (via bankID, Nordea, Telia, Posten) or a pin code which is listed on your declaration papers. Follow the instructions and you will login into your account where you can review all your tax information before accepting it.

2009 was the first time I filed so could only file by paper. That involved signing off on the yellow declaration and mailing it in. I also filled out a form to receive direct deposit to my bank account but Skatteverket must not have received mail. I still received a check that had to be cashed at the bank.

This year, I could file online. That took 5 minutes. Then I went to my online banking and made a transfer to Skatteverket to pay my taxes (damn you Swedish taxes!).

Most likely, unless you own a house or were given shares in your company, you can do a simple, EZ as it’s called in the US, tax file in Sweden.

And don’t forget, if you are a US citizen living abroad, you still have to file taxes in the United States. Oh Joy!

6 thoughts on “Online Swedish Tax Declarations 2010”

  1. Interesting:) What are the tax rates in Sweden? Is it fixed % or progressive system?

    About filing an US declaration as well – you’re lucky you’re not a lithuanian citizen – whatever country you would chose to live in, you would still have to actually PAY the lithuanian tax. Everybody’s furious, its already nicknamed “the citizenship tax” and the nation is waiting for tax on oxygen we breathe:(((

  2. you can also go annoy them in person and get the papers. you won’t be able to do the online filing (i believe) but paper should be fine.

    moonlight – that is just stupid and silly for you poor guys. we have that extra tax in the US as well, but that’s if you make more than 90K USD a year, which is not me.

  3. Yes, I will go there and annoy them for the papers – as soon as I get well, they can wait for a couple of days.

    I anyway couldn’t figure out how to get the e-legitimation thing (although I have a bank account), but it sounds a little bit Big Brotherish to me…

  4. It took me awhile to get the e-legitimation to work as well. My first bank account didn’t work but with my joint account, there was the option to do it. I know not all types of private accounts allow for it. Ask your bank if you can do it.

    I think it’s a much safer option than just having passwords, easy to crack, not so much on certificates.

  5. This can be good to know, if you’re a citizen of another country:

    If your taxed for the same income both in Sweden and in your home country, the tax you pay in the other country can often be deducted from the tax you pay in Sweden. There’s usually an agreement between the countries to avoid double taxation that sorts out this. When you know the tax you have to pay at home, you should notify the Swedish tax authority about it (“yrkande om avräkning av utländsk skatt”) You can find more information about it on their website:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *