Amazing Photos from the Volcanic Eruption in Iceland

16 Apr
2010

UPDATED: Added more photos on Sunday April 18th. They are the topmost photos.

The first eruption on March 27th by Fimmvörðuháls in the passage between Eyjafjallajökull (pronounce: Aye-ya-fyah-dla-jow-kudl – thanks Tinna) and Myrdalsjokull glaciers erupted and didn’t blow everyone’s minds away. Now, a volcano has again erupted in the glacier located in southern Iceland and the event is spectacular.

I am so excited that I would do anything to hop on a place and take photographs of this amazing event (because photographers are crazy). Some people are even getting photographs of the volcano with lightening, an amazing phenomena explained by Science Blogs. Too bad, most European airports are closed open under chaotic conditions.

Yesterday afternoon, airspace over Sweden, Norway, and the United Kingdom closed down because of the volcanic ash. Volcanic ash can cause engine failure because the ash is so fine and meld itself to the crevices in the engine. Ash can also increase the weight of the airplane, which not makes the plane heavier, but unevenly bulky. The Guardian posted a good article why ash is dangerous to planes and DN.se posted about the environmental effects of the volcano.

This is an experience few get to enjoy since volcanoes rarely erupt in the part of the northern hemisphere. With the first eruption from last month, Eyjafjallajökull is giving the world a great show and giving Iceland more attention than it ever wanted. As an anonymous person said,

Dear Iceland, we said send CASH … not ASH!

UPDATE: For those travelers coming into Sweden or leaving Sweden via Arlanda or any airports, please check LFV for updates. Airspace is still closed and Stockholm Arlanda is not expected to open until Saturday.

I gathered 1525 photos below of the volcanic eruption and ash that are being posted to Flickr as well as a video and a map. If you have a photo to share, please post the link below in the comments. It would be great to collect as many pictures as possible to share with everyone.

How to pronounce Eyjafjällajökull

Ash cloud detail
Photographed by: Pu the Owl

Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland
Photographed by: B&B Kristinsson

Photographed by: Anna Artist

3 just hangin'
Photographed by: Soleysk

photographed by jennifer greenland
Photographed by: Jennifer Greenland

Playing with the Devil
Photographed by: Skarphéðinn Þráinsson (thanks for sharing!)

Eyjafjallajökull Volcano

Photographed by: Now in Iceland

30th of March 2010: Volcano at Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland
Photographed by: Now in Iceland

Fimmvörðuháls eruption
Photographed by: Fredrik Holm

Volcanic Eruption/Aurora
Photographed by: David (thanks for sharing!)

Enjoy the volcano photos of Iceland!

15 Responses to Amazing Photos from the Volcanic Eruption in Iceland

Erik

April 16th, 2010 at 10:18

This is probably the coolest picture yet: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skarpi/4505369452/

April 16th, 2010 at 10:39

Yea, that photo is crazy awesome. I contacted the photographer to use it here.

Tweets that mention Amazing Photos from the Volcanic Eruption in Iceland -- Topsy.com

April 16th, 2010 at 11:40

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Dominority. Dominority said: Amazing Photos from the Volcanic Eruption in Iceland http://bit.ly/9X75RB [...]

David Einarsson

April 16th, 2010 at 14:06

Hi there, this is my favorite photo out of the ones I’ve taken of the eruption:

You’re welcome to post it here if you want.

Moonlight

April 16th, 2010 at 14:44

Love the pics:) Apparently there are a few groups on Facebook saying they hate volcanos:))) How pointless is that??? I’d doubt that the volcanos care in the slightest about their moaning lol:)

The flights are still suspended though, the other side of the Baltic are cautious, too. And today is the day when I was meant to fly for a romantic weekend with the swede I fell in love with… I guess, it just wasnt meant to be:))) Gee, if I was flying today – I would’ve probably joined the group pmsl:)

So, for those thinking their love life isnt good – get into my shoes, when I make a romantic plan – bloody volcanos errupt in protest:)))

lydia smith

April 16th, 2010 at 17:30

Wow! What a spectacular show! I recognise those big white clouds and snow covered mountains as I saw the same scenery on my recent stay in nearby Faroe Islands! Its so different up there! Thanks for sharing great photos.

April 16th, 2010 at 17:54

@Moonlight – Hilarious that there are volcano hating groups. As if the volcano wants to ruin everyone’s lives.

Some things are meant to be. Take this as the blessing in disguise.

@Lydia – How long were you in the Faroe Islands? What brought you there? Did you like it? Many questions!

mike

April 16th, 2010 at 22:52

complex life wouldn’t exit without this geological phenomenon, so do appreciate and enjoy its awe-inspiring beauty, even if it keeps you an extra day from seeing a beloved :)

April 17th, 2010 at 01:34

Julie and Moonlight – I understand tensions are high because people are not able to travel and see their loved ones right at this moment, but there’s no reason for flaming here.

This post is about the beauty of the eruption and sharing photos from not just news journalists but anyone who had an opportunity to be there.

You both continued to post flaming comments and they have ALL been removed now.

Volcano Travel Delay Information

April 17th, 2010 at 11:47

[...] can at least see photos of the volcanic eruption on my other [...]

Jason

April 17th, 2010 at 16:43

Great photos of the eruption. They are stunning.

Mark

April 17th, 2010 at 19:11

The first photo is insane. How close were they? Fredrick’s photo is spectacular too.

Ravi

April 17th, 2010 at 19:27

These photos are awesome. This is somewhere near “Ring Road”. Is it? I remember you going there few years ago and taking award winning “Priceless” pictures.

April 18th, 2010 at 22:24

Yea, this area is a hundred kilometers or so from the Ring Road. You should check out my Ring Road photos if you already have not. And yes, did sell some Iceland photos to Mastercard a few years ago. =)

Steve Gold Price

April 19th, 2010 at 12:31

Good post! I wish this terrible ash cloud will leave us alone. My cousin is stuck in Spain and she’s running out of cash. I heard the ash will be staying for at least another 2 weeks but I don’t know if I should believe it. Does anybody know if it’s true?