Våffledagen – Waffle Day in Sweden

25 Mar
2010

waffle with whipped cream and strawberries

It is waffle day in Sweden. If you thought Swedes had a love for godis, they also are crazy for waffles.

This year I won’t be celebrating waffle day today but will over the weekend. For those interested my friend, E, gave me the best recipe for dinkelvåfflor. These are waffles made with spelt, a high fiber and protein flour. They are healthy and delicious!
Dinkelvåfflor recept:
2 ½ dl dinkelmjöl
1,25 tsk bakpulver
3 dl mjölk eller grädde
75 gram smör
2 ägg
1 tsk vanille

– All items should be at room temperature
– Make sure to melt the butter before incorporating into the mix
– Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the baking powder to activate

Toppings for Waffles:
Traditional toppings on waffles in Sweden are sylt (jam), fresh strawberries, and whipped cream. I enjoy all that and ice cream. That’s because I am crazy.

If you want a savory waffle, you can make waffles like mini sandwiches. Since waffles in Sweden are shaped as hearts, you can tear them apart and serve individually.
Some savory toppings on waffles: Basil cream (philly cream cheese mixed with fresh basil), ham, egg, mushroom, fresh shrimps (like a mini räksalad on top of toast).

What is your favorite topping on waffles?

double waffle iron

7 Responses to Våffledagen – Waffle Day in Sweden

Moonlight

March 25th, 2010 at 22:03

OMG!!!! That’s the stuff from my childhood!!!:))) And I aint swedish!!! Looks like lithuanian and swedish cuisine has much more in common than just herrings with potatoes:))) Do they do herring-pineapple “salad” over there as well???:)))

Riccardo

March 26th, 2010 at 09:52

In north Italy especially in the Alps and south France we have something like that called Goffries.

Probably, they were brought by the Germans/Swiss during the prosecution of the protestants. In fact many valleys are populated by protestants people and have a dialect coming from the german.

A variety with Nutella is particular appreciated

March 28th, 2010 at 14:05

Moonlight – Not seen herring-pinapple salad but I’m not a fan of herring. Will look out though for it.

Riccardo – Warm up a couple spoonfuls of Nutella in the microwave (15-20seconds) and add it into the batter. Mmmm, mumms!

I love goffies! They are delicious. I ate them all the time in France.

Moonlight

March 28th, 2010 at 14:42

@Sapphire

not sure will you find it, it could be more of a lithuanian thing – when I lived in London was always getting a “bucket” from a lithuanian shop although im not a big fan of herring myself – loved it:) not had it for years now since I moved to Manchester and there arent any lithuanian shops over here…:( Are there many potatoe dishes in Sweden? Potatoe pancakes, potatoe bakes or sml?

Lördags Godis: The Swedish Candy Obsession

April 15th, 2010 at 15:38

[…] Yet, what I haven’t figured out is how Swedes are still slender. I can count the number of fat people on both my hands, and that’s in all of Sweden. And candy bins along with candy isles are the quintessential staple of any grocery store. Even convenience stores and gas stations have loose candy. And yet they are skinny. Maybe it’s the coffee and snus and skiing but I am fascinated by their obsession with sweets. Remember the Swedes even have a day for waffles. […]

June 27th, 2010 at 13:12

Moonlight – There are not too many varied potato dishes, mainly boiled potato or roasted potato. Potato flour is used in quite a few baked dishes (to give fluffiness) but no potato pancakes (latkes).

A 10-10-10 Wedding in Sweden

October 12th, 2010 at 11:38

[…] and food was delicious. Skansen Kronan was romantic and dark inside and appropriately, I ate Swedish waffles. Because that’s what a bride can do. Eat delicious waffles and lots of whipped cream (sadly […]