A Swedish Engagement on Blue Monday

18 Jan
2010

It happened! The little Swedish boy proposed. O M G! OMG OMG OMG

The back story…

Today is our two year anniversary of first meeting. Since we started dating right after we met, well we are using the 18th as our anniversary. And as a friend pointed out, today is Blue Monday, the most depressing day of the year. Take that Blue Monday!

We decided on Sunday to take a nice walk around Södermalm in the afternoon. We went home shortly after sunset, drank Pol Roger champagne, did home pedicures. I had this really cool scraper to clean my feet, an osthyvel for the foot!
Södermalm Frozen
Anyway, we had dinner at the Italian restaurant nearby, came home and chatted. Then I decided to head to bed (because I love the comforter) and we played silly question games like, “If you were a fruit, what kind of fruit would you be?” Hehe, I know. Totally lame.

I was almost falling asleep after drinking lots of champagne and dreaming of dancing oranges (don’t ask why).

Then a shy boy asked:

So i’ve been thinking all day, and just couldn’t figure out a good time. but since it’s our two year anniversary…will you marry me?

He even had that cute swedish boy look.

It was at home at midnight. He didn’t get down on one knee or whisk me off to Finland on a boat. But it was perfect, and Swedish: a quiet, intimate, loving way to say the best “I love you”

Stay tuned for a monsoon wedding and preparations.

PS: There is no ring yet. We’ll get there soon!

37 Responses to A Swedish Engagement on Blue Monday

Sophia

January 18th, 2010 at 16:05

Smiling smiling smiling … congratulations to you both! Can’t wait to hear the future plans – what fun :)

Sue-Leigh

January 18th, 2010 at 16:10

Aww, sweet

Anne

January 18th, 2010 at 16:14

Oooh, congratulations!

Shazzer

January 18th, 2010 at 16:17

Congratulations on the fact that there is an actual wedding in the offing! It took me a long time to get used to the fact that the Swedish version of “engagement” does not necessarily mean the two parties are planning to marry.

January 18th, 2010 at 16:20

@Shazzer – So true! This time, we’ll have a real wedding and get photos. Muhahaha. Ain’t doing the engagement for life thing, ahaha.

Thank you Anne, Sue-Leigh, and Sophia. =)

Jeff

January 18th, 2010 at 16:45

Congrats! He’s a good man and you could have done a LOT worse. I wish you two a long and happy life together :D

January 18th, 2010 at 16:54

Congratulations you 2!

So… Is a date set yet? Location? Wedding colours? Swedish or Indian wedding? Your last name or his? How many kids and when!?!?

Janelle

January 18th, 2010 at 18:07

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Definitely a wonderful way to ring in the New Year! xoxo

Tinna

January 18th, 2010 at 18:13

Jeez, this is the sweetest story, I’ve got tears in my eyes, so happy for both of you.

TR

January 18th, 2010 at 19:29

Congratulations and best wishes! Now you have a new topic to blog on: Planning A Wedding In Sweden.

Atlantean

January 18th, 2010 at 20:55

Congratulations to both, I hope you lead a happy, happy life!

Isabel

January 18th, 2010 at 22:33

YAYYYY! A REAL Indian wedding!!!! :)

Poppygolot

January 19th, 2010 at 08:45

Hi Sapphire!
I have been following your blog ever since I started dating a Swede, and your articles have been so amusing and honest. I must say that I’m so happy for you. Congratulations on your engagement!

P.S. I love your blog, please keep on writing. :)

January 19th, 2010 at 14:06

Hahaha @Jeff, definitely can get worse.

@Andrew, uhh…date? colors? turkeys? where? whaaaaa?
It will definitely be in India. Yay!

Thanks Janelle, Tinna, and Atlantean. =)

@Isabel, indeed a real wedding! As opposed to those fake weddings.

@Poppygolot, thank you for the compliment. Many hugs to you too as well.

@TR, more fodder for the blog!

Joy (Ahoy!)

January 19th, 2010 at 23:09

Hey, congrats! :-D The whole going down the knee thing is probably too Hollywood! ;-)

So… what fruit do you think you would be? I didn’t read an answer to that question, haha!

commqueen123

January 20th, 2010 at 02:20

Greetings lovely Sapphire. I so enjoy your blog though I’m a relatively new here. I haven’t been on for a bit, so I was so happy to see your engagement post when I visited just now. Besides I’ve always had a very special place in my heart for blond Scandinavian men (assuming your now fiance is, though I may be wrong, as I know not all are blond) joined with lovely dark-haired, darker hued women.

Wishing you and yours much happiness! BTW, what’s the word for happiness in Swedish? At any rate, wish you both much of it.

Lindsey

January 20th, 2010 at 17:15

Hahah, I think Andrew said it best. Those are all the questions I want answered too. =) All the best to you two! LBO

January 20th, 2010 at 21:23

Teeheee @Joy. I would be a strawberry and the boy answered he’s an orange. Could make for good smoothie. HAHAHA!

Hi @commqueen123. Thank you for the lovely wishes. The boy is blond in the summer and brown haired in the winter. Should he turn permanently into a brunette, I’ll just dye his hair. :p

Happiness in swedish is glädje but I’m not sure what “wishing you happiness for the future” or something like that would be in Swedish.

Anyone know?

@lindsey – hehehe! Location: Earth, Color: Swedish flag colors, Kids: 2 turkeys, Date: this decade. ;)

Erik

January 21st, 2010 at 00:52

The word you’re looking for is “lycka” like in “lycka till!” (good luck!), “jag önskar dig all lycka i framtiden” (I wish you all the best in the future) or “jag är lycklig” (I’m happy.)

Erik

January 21st, 2010 at 00:52

Charlene

January 21st, 2010 at 17:24

Congratulations! I am so happy for you…and you are right- it seemed to have happened just “perfect.”

January 21st, 2010 at 17:29

Thanks Erik! I also thought of Grattis till förlovningen (Congrats on the engagement)

abby

January 28th, 2010 at 05:29

AHHHHHH CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! :) :) :)

This might be too nosy, so please don’t answer if you don’t want to, but will you be doing ‘Swedish’ style rings or more ‘American’ style?

Congrats again! It sounded lovely!

January 28th, 2010 at 19:16

Hi abby! Thank you.

I have NO idea what the differences are! Please enlighten me :D

babelfish

January 30th, 2010 at 12:17

Aww how cute, congratulations!

February 4th, 2010 at 18:04

Thanks babelfish! Now the fun of picking wedding designs ;)

Björn

February 11th, 2010 at 01:17

Congratulations! btw that must either be and old picture or the angle is just right since there should be a red concrete bridge right next to the one in that picture. I know since I was one of the guys who built it=D. Granted ofcourse if I am correct and the picture was taken near “Tantogården” should be a hospital closeby and a small ice rink for bandy.

tom samuelsson

February 12th, 2010 at 17:19

Congratulations, wish you best of luck! :)

February 12th, 2010 at 23:44

Björn – you’re right, I remember a red bridge and I did squeeze it out of the photo. hehe. Haven’t seen the ice ring, but then again I can be oblivious to things

Thanks Tom! =)

abby

February 14th, 2010 at 00:03

Did you all do 2 plain bands with engravings of eachother’s names and the dates or did he buy you something flashy (or moderately flashy..hehe) :) :)

Ari

February 15th, 2010 at 21:41

Congratulations!

Björn

February 19th, 2010 at 05:11

@Sapphire Hah! I knew it=) its a really nice place in the summer btw, always lots of cool people sitting in the grassy area closer to “tunnelbanan” and just getting drunk and having a good time. Me and my friends are often there in the summer, a bit of bbq and lots of beer. There is even a “systembolaget” close by which makes the area even more perfect=P.

Ricardo

March 5th, 2010 at 12:27

Boorinng! LOL Just kidding!
Congratulations!!

Indian Engagement Photos

March 29th, 2010 at 16:07

[…] that we have our Swedish engagement done, it was time for the Indians to take over and show what a Hindu engagement is about. An Indian […]

Amanda nguyen

April 17th, 2010 at 00:10

Cheer up from Vietnam, i have a swedish bf, wish one day he would make “tat cutest” to me. Swedish men are lovely !

April 30th, 2010 at 13:34

LoL at Björn! Where there’s Systembolaget, there are purple bags…

You’re silly Ricardo, hehe.

Thanks Amanda, Swedish boys are are lovely!

A 10-10-10 Wedding in Sweden

October 12th, 2010 at 09:40

[…] closed on October 9th and allowed for weddings on October 10th instead. When Porbjörn and I got engaged, we thought it would be awesome to be married on 10.10.10. We could never forget the […]