Swedish Summer Houses and Jellyfishes

22 Jul
2009

I went to Göteborg (Gothenburg for those of you lacking the ö) for a weekend visiting Þorbjörn’s parents. This is my fifth visit to see them and it’s pretty the same deal everytime. Mom is excited we are there, dad drinks a Norrlands Guld 3.5% (the worst beer in the world, in my honest opinion), the dog plays with rocks, and we eat a lot of food. All in all, a great way to spend the weekend. If we are lucky, we can take the boat out onto the waters and see some pretty islands. I’m not lucky, the past month of sunshine disappeared and turned itself into rain and clouds. The weather gods are bastards.

But here are a few photos from where they live. It’s okay, be jealous now.
Gothenburg Boats
The view to the water from the boyfriend’s house.

Kärna summer house in Sweden

Kärna summer house in Sweden

The house on the right, under construction, is Þorbjörn’s family house. It should be 100sq meters once expansion completes.

We went to Marstrand, some pretty island that is very famous in Sweden. It required getting bundled up in waterproof materials and taking a 25 minute boat ride; which was awesome to say the least. When we arrived, there were some huge boats, sailboats that could probably compete. Those damn Norwegians, lots of money and nothing to do. On Marstrand, you can see the castle (we didn’t) and take a lovely walk around the island, we only spent an hour and half and had a beer. I saw little but still took a few photos.

Small street in Marstrand

Small street in Marstrand

Sweden on the water is amazingly beautiful. I love that Þorbjörn’s parents live on the water; it’s just amazing. Forget the city, living on the water to the ocean is way better.

The boat ride back from Marstrand was rainy, windy, and rocky. Our boat bounced quite a bit and at one point, I flew off my seat onto the floor. Next time I get a seatbelt. When we got back home, the rain vanished, of course it would, and I got to play with a jellyfish. No danger, no abuse. I just picked the little jellie and put him back in the water. He was very soft and squishy, and jelly-like (what a surprise). Must say, holding a Swedish sea jellie was the best thing of the weekend.

Holding a Jellyfish

Holding a Jellyfish

11 Responses to Swedish Summer Houses and Jellyfishes

Chica

July 23rd, 2009 at 06:18

Love the pictures! The place looks like a great spot for a bit of chillout time. Is it my monitor though, or is the grass in the second picture on the border of neon green?

Smek this!

July 23rd, 2009 at 20:40

I thought about the same thing. Do you have a ‘CSI Miami’ camera available :)
BTW, how did you see the jellyfish was a male..?

Ravi Pradhan

July 23rd, 2009 at 21:47

Are these real pictures? Or Painted to suit the need? Brushed? I love the clean street and colorful houses. Much better looking than Boca Raton, South Florida houses.

what the what

July 24th, 2009 at 10:50

You’re really on your way to becoming a swede!

“Those damn Norwegians, lots of money and nothing to do.”
“The weather gods are bastards.”

or maybe not

Norrlands Guld 3.5% (the worst beer in the world, in my honest opinion)

:p

July 24th, 2009 at 10:51

@Smek – hehe, it’s just a nikon d200 but any SLR will do.

And, I have no idea if that jellyfish is male or female, I suppose I should some more research.

@Ravi – They are real photos using a technique called HDR (high dynamic range) which blends photos of different exposures into one. They can really blow out colors but I tend to like my photos a little more bold than not.

Cesar Lazarte

July 24th, 2009 at 11:29

im jelous ! :P

Per-Fredrik Hagermark

August 7th, 2009 at 10:24

Great pics! You got me interested in HDR as well. Gotta find some time for that.

Swedish Beach -- Swedish Summer Houses and Jellyfishes

August 20th, 2009 at 04:11

[…] the rest here: Swedish Summer Houses and Jellyfishes AKPC_IDS += "128,";Popularity: unranked […]

Little Midsommar Frogs

June 25th, 2010 at 00:32

[…] midsummer, I hope all of you are out of the city and in the forest or at Swedish countryside homes drinking brennvin and enjoying a true national Swedish […]

42 Reasons Why Sweden is the Best Country

December 15th, 2010 at 13:40

[…] houses, summer houses, summer […]

The Unassuming House in the Suburbs

February 28th, 2011 at 15:02

[…] and far away from civilization. The houses totally isolated from civilization tend to be the pretty Swedish summer houses. The rest are not so […]